Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Having learned that stories are the best way to communicate because our Creator created us as story formed people, I see the need to not only share stories, but to have these stories include a common thread. Being story formed means that we use stories to teach and share and interact. It is the most ancient form of communication becasue before we could write we could speak. Having a common thread means that in a series of stories there is an overarching theme that ties them all together, and for me makes it easier to understand.

Take for example; well let’s say… the bible. It is full of stories. And if you chose a theme, it could be redemption, relationship, forgiveness etc.; you can draw that out specifically from each story and get a clear view on God’s idea of and purpose for it. I am teaching in this style a small group of ladies at my house. We are stringing together the redemptive theme, which will climax with Jesus, and have been seeing so many stories of redemption which are building a theme of God's characteristics. Like how kind and caring and responsive He is no matter your sin. Examples here… Adam and Eve, Jacob, Moses, just to name a few, all of whom sinned greatly and were redeemed for purposes of great responsibility.

So, to start this series of writings I thought it would be helpful to know that we are on a redemptive arc with a freedom theme. My hope is that the stories I share will all be tied together with my steps toward freedom, pointing to the bigger picture of restoration and sanctification as part of redemption. The result of which, again I hope, is peace that passes understanding no matter the circumstances, a path to ease and light no matter the emotional digging going on, and the keys to self awareness which unlocks the prison of shame or fear or bitterness, and leaves you free to fully experience love and joy and truth.

But before you can be free you have to be able to see the walls of your prison. So next week I will show you the long ago places of darkness and just like any good bible story I hope you will not only see the intended theme, but also see it pointing to the ways I have been loved and protected and guided even when it does not seem that way. Because it’s those things that tell you of God’s character, and it is by knowing who He really is that will set you free.

No comments: